A degree in psychology can lead to many varying careers and specialisms. These could include Sports Psychologist, Animal Psychologist, Clinical Psychologist or Counselling Psychologist. The education and training for each of these will differ accordingly. Here is a guide to general psychology training, after which you may decide on a specialism which is outlined elsewhere on this site.

University Course

If you want to practice as a private or NHS psychologist you would need to obtain a degree in Psychology from a recognised institution. This will be a three year full-time or four year sandwich course at one of the many universities that provide a course recognised by the British Psychological Society (BPS).

Education Pathway

In order to be accepted onto a Psychology course it is usual to have at least five GCSEs graded A*-C including ones in mathematics and science. After this you would also usually be required to hold three A levels graded AAB including one in Psychology and another in mathematics. Each institution will have different entry requirements with whom you should check before applying. A degree in Psychology will provide a solid grounding in the subject which can be used to specialise in a certain area later on.

Work Experience

Many institutions place a heavy emphasis on practical experience when offering places. It is always helpful to try and gain work experience in a psychiatry practice or in a hospital’s psychiatry department if you can and you should approach local employers to see if they will allow you to gain an insight through work experience. If you apply for a four year sandwich course you will spend either the second or third year of your time at university working in a working psychology department or practice with whom the university is affiliated.

Career pathways after graduation

Depending on whether or not you want to specialise in a certain area your choices after graduation can vary. You may want to continue into a research field and study for a PhD at the same university or transfer to another. Some students may want to move straight into employment and can apply for many entry-level positions in private practices or in the NHS.